Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Feliz Dia de San Valentin

For so much of my adult life, Valentine's Day has been supremely awkward. I was "single", but maybe not really. I was in love, but in denial about that love. I joked about "Single Awareness Day", while not really being interested in dating. I did, however, relish the opportunity to down a Ben and Jerry's because I think that's pretty expected when one is not on a hot Valentine's Day date. This year I just want to tell my sweetheart how much I love her and how grateful I am to have her by my side. As I sat next to her in the Urgent Care yesterday watching her cough miserably, I thought about all the times that she's held me, comforted me, tucked me into bed, and made me a bowl of ice cream. I thought about the tears she's dried, the reassurance she's given, and the jokes she's told. I thought about the books she's read aloud to me because she's so excited by the ideas on the page and she just wants to share. All of those everyday gestures are the sweetest and best gift of love I could ever imagine. So Rachel, I just want to say thanks for giving me such wonderful gifts of love, and happy Valentine's Day.

-Theresa

No comments:

Post a Comment